Saturday, June 12, 2010

Women in ministry, what's a man to do?

I originally posted this last August. Although the church has been ordaining women for more than half a century now, some still do not quite know what to do with a female pastor/preacher. I thought this deserved a repost :)
Lest you think I am about to launch into some biblical exegesis on what Paul had to say about women in leadership in the church, fear not. That is not what this is about. And just so you know if I believed that what I was doing was counter to God and His word I would not be doing it. And just so you know, having learned, survived, and persevered through what I have in the last 3 years I would have to be absolutely crazy to do what I am doing without absolutely believing and knowing, that this is what God, very clearly, asked me to do, so...What is a man to do?

I would ask you to consider not only the challenges women in ministry continue to face but the challenges that their husbands face as well.

Pastors: If you know a woman in ministry, seek out her husband. Provide the support, accountability, and spiritual guidance that he needs from another man. His wife might be the pastor, but he is still called to be the spiritual leader in his home. A pastor's wife will always seek out and find others to support her, a pastor's husband is a whole different thing.

Men of the church: Support this man. Give him a place to vent. Never refer to him as so and so's husband. He has his own identity and place in ministry. Respect the fact that he is supporting the call God has placed on his wife's life and that he and his entire family have been called along with her. It takes a special kind of man to agree to go along for this ride!

Men/husbands: You have been called along with your spouse. The part you play will not be the one she does, but you are nevertheless called along with her, as is your family. Find ways to support her as her husband and as a family.

Finally,

Veteran Women in Ministry: Reach out to your younger sister's, most especially those who are married. It is one thing to be a second career pastor (your spouse did not exactly sign up for this when they married you), it is something else all together when the second career pastor is the wife. You and your spouse have spent year's navigating these waters and can be a wonderful source of support both individually and as a couple.

I am sure this list will grow and develop over the years, but this is a start!

2 comments:

Nehemiah said...

Girl, all I can say is look over their heads. It is amazing how many nay sayers are out there. The closer you get to God the more you will see. I never realized it but you are so right. Your hubby has a interesting road ahead. Tell him and I will also, he can vent on me anytime. I know God has called you and given you this gift, just keep looking over their heads.

FunnyGirl said...

Your perspective on this caused me to reflect on how my own career, though not in ministry, affects my own husband. Thanks for the insight. Not that I think that where you pray makes a difference, but next week I will pray for you both at the alter of Martha Brown-for the sake of significance.