Thursday, July 29, 2010

Asbury Theological Seminary

I have spent the week on campus at ATS for a summer intensive. Man I love this place! One day after 8 hours in the class room I headed over to the library and found my favorite spot on the third floor. There are 6 awesomely comfy chairs that face out over the courtyard that contains a large statue of John Wesley across which is one of the many chapels at Asbury. My heart beat a bit faster as I started to recall my first time on campus when I felt so out of place. Thinking back to that time I remembering looking around as if it wasn't real, not fully knowing how I had gotten here or what I thought I was doing.

I have experienced much the same feeling over and over again over the last years. All I know is God called, I answered, and again and again I have found myself in places and positions I never thought I would. That he would stake his name on me, such an inadequate ill-equipped sinner as me is mindboggling. The things God has put on my plate and called me to next are astounding. I want so desperately to be His instrument, to abide in Him, to hear His voice, and to live into His purposes and plans.

I am so ready to graduate in just 4 and 1/2 months, but I will miss this place desperately! I will miss being surrounded by people 100% sold out for Jesus, who are following him with their lives, leaving home, and family, and country of origin. I will miss hearing the whispered prayers and praises of those hungry for God surrounding me. I will miss the incredible uplifted voices praising God through song in our chapel services. I will miss the awesome men and women who really know what it is like to be in this skin, one called to lead, one who has been called to something so weighty as preaching and teaching the word of the Creator of the universe, binding up the broken hearted and setting captives free. I have heard people from all over the world and people from other seminaries come here and say that there is just something about this place. It is holy. God's Spirit is unmistakeably present and palpable. A doctoral student (from another denominaton) shared in class this morning that he came to Asbury initially because it was close and convenient but he was not prepared for what he found when he got here. He has been amazed by the presence of the Spirit, the biblical teaching, the strong academic emphasis, and the core of this institution, whose mission is to spread scriptural holiness across the land.

I will be so proud that my MDIV is from ATS!

2 comments:

Randy said...

Found your post via Asbury's Twitter stream and enjoyed reading your post.

My wife's and my journey took us through Asbury's D.Min. program (2004-2008) and while we were only on campus for short 1-week stints, we loved being there. It was a time of intense retreat.

Anyway, thanks for jogging my memories.

Unknown said...

I felt just what you described during my two years at Asbury. What a place of divine healing! And I do miss it. But also what a preparation for the "real world!" No way could I be doing what I am doing now without the learning and relationships with God and fellow students that were developed at ATS. God is good - all the time.