Sunday, July 18, 2010

Together is better

The church I pastor has suffered a tragic loss this last week. It has been a faith shaking experience for many. It has been trial by fire for me only 3 weeks into this, my first appointment. It has been hard to see the pain and the hurt, to be present in it, and to somehow offer hope. This is certainly not the first time and I know it will not be the last. Most of my experience with this before however was with folks I hardly knew while I was working in chaplaincy in the hospital. I hardly knew them and I would never see them again once they left the hospital. I now find myself in different circumstances. I am starting to get to know these people and they me. In the last few weeks I have been surprised, disappointed, frustrated, excited, impatient, and so much more, but what I have seen in these last days since learning of this loss has been remarkable. It has made me so proud. It has broken my heart and filled it up to over flowing all at the same time. It has made me adore all of them for so many reasons. I am so proud to be the pastor of such a remarkable group of people. It is amazing what they have been able to do together, even those who fuss about each other any other day of the week :)
God is so blessed when we work together in love. Together is so much better.
Eccl 4:9-12

No comments: