Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Heart

Why am I doing what I am doing? Why when I have a degree in Mass Communications, experience managing and leading people from twice my age to half my age, a culinary arts degree and great paying job where I can set my own hours, two kids, more than enough to keep me busy, why am I in seminary? Why am I pastoring a church with as many opportunities as challenges? Why?

The biggest reason is my love for Jesus and the life I am afforded because of his life, death, and resurrection. See I spent the greater part of my life so caught up in the world I saw around me and all it told me about who I was and what I was worth and what I should value. Then I met Jesus and all that got turned upside down. Don't get me wrong, I went to church. I had heard about Jesus, but it wasn't until I was 30 years old that I had an encounter with Jesus. I wonder how many people are sitting in churches every week that still don't know who Jesus is. that grieves me.

I found out that what God saw in me was far different from the world. He calls me his precious child and has shown me who I really am. Who better to do that than my creator? Because of God's love for me I have been set free from all of that stuff that kept me believing I had to work to be good enough. Everything I do is just a response to that. Everything I do is about showing and telling others about that freedom and about that love and grace.

At the end of the day I have to say I am doing what I am doing because God called and I answered. I could never have gotten to where I am on this journey without that call. I would never have signed up for this path, BUT it is pretty awesome to commune with the creator, to hear and be heard, to be called, and to respond. I want everyone to know that such a relationship is possible for them. I know it sounds crazy right? I know God, we talk, daily. He hears me when I pray. How awesome is that?

No comments: