Thursday, October 1, 2009

Reframing Your Ministry

That is the title of a book I am reading for one of my classes this semester. I have to say the things this book has to say is resonating big time with me. I have seen a glimpse of the future and how things could go horribly wrong if I am not very intentional about some things. Ok, well I already knew that about some things like knowing my weak places, boundary issues, and where I get my energy, but this has emphasized some things I am only coming to realize. What I know is this; now is the time to not only know what those weak places are and where boundaries need to be set up, but the habits that need to be formed in regards to my home and family, to my personal care, and to my relationship with God. Well, of course, you say, of course your relationship to God, you are studying to be a pastor. Thing is, often in seminary we students get so consumed by the work of the books about God, theology, ethics, missions, spiritual formation, the Bible, etc. that our personal devotional, prayer, and reflection time falls to the wayside. I experienced this my first year in seminary and it absolutely broke my heart. Finding my way back to school, a graduate student, wife, mother of two, chef, and church leader, I had to learn to navigate the waters. I got to the point where I was literally mourning for my God and His word. I wanted to just sit and read the Word and pray and talk to God. Crazy, huh?

Thankfully since then I have fought to make sure this does not happen again. We cannot give what we have not received. We must be able to share from the overflow. This is not possible if we are so spent that we have nothing to give! I am learning. I am certain there is so much more to learn, but like so much of life, it may have to be learned on "the job". I am so grateful for the many opportunites, (both practically and in the classroom) I am being given to grow into the call God has placed on my life. I pray always, that as just one of the parts of the body of Christ, I will live into my purpose alongside those with whom I am blessed to walk!

1 comment:

Jabe Fincher said...

Thanks! You and John look good together.