Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Disturbed, Troubled, or both!

I don't know what to think. Ok well as I have told some close to me, because I have always been a person of limited means, I think I have it easier in some ways than others because I have fewer choices to make due to these limited means. Those with more have it harder. They have many more decisions and choices as to what to do with their "means".

However I have been disturbed and or troubled in the last week by two stories from two people of very different means and it seems to stem from the illness of overconsumption and sense of entitlement that is running rampant in this country. One confessed to buying way too much for their children and just not being able to stop...even "mindlessly" throwing things into the shopping cart while walking through Target. I am thinking woah! why? What are you really trying to fill up or buy? Do you know how many people won't eat this Christmas? I have some things you can do with that money! Can your kids tell you what they got for Christmas last year? It is so hard to watch. We are not doing our kids any favors with this madness. What are we setting them up for? What are we teaching them about the meaning of Christmas? God sent His Son, gave himself away, and we should do the same.

The other has bill collectors calling. Their child asked for an ipod for Christmas. They ordered one online but discovered it was the "small" one (the shuffle) so returned it because their child wanted the "big" one. Oh ya and they waited 6 hours in line the day after Thanksgiving to get another child a gaming system, but the bill collectors are calling.

What is wrong with us? What are we teaching our kids? What are we trying to fill with this overconsumption? When is enough, enough? I tried to shed some light in one case, and in the other was honestly stupified into silence. Praying for revelation!

No comments: