Friday, December 25, 2009

God with us...

It is after 1 a.m. on Christmas morning and I am sitting in awe of a God that loved us, loved me enough to come, to empty himself of all the glory in heaven, to come in such an unexpected way.

This time of year seems to bring with it many expectations, what will we give? What will we receive? Whom can we help and serve? What will we eat? Will it be like Mom always made? The traditions are wonderful, warm, and comforting, but I wonder if in the midst of it all, in the telling of the Christmas story once again, if our hearts have dulled to its message. God is with us! Christ came! There are so many reasons to celebrate the greatest gift ever given. A man born to die for us, that is how much God loves! I pray for a new way of hearing this good news and sharing it with others.

One of my favorite quotes from one of the early church fathers is, "The glory of God is man fully alive." This was said by Ireneaus, and to this day every time I hear it and ponder it, my heart is stirred, turning inside my chest in an unexplainable way. So many of us go from day to day, near sleep walking, not fully awake and alive to all God created us to be and do. I pray that as you wake on Christmas day that you will be fully awake and alive to all that God has in store, all that God wants for your life and through your life. His Kingdom was brought near when Jesus came to live among us. Let us live lives worthy of His love and sacrifice so that His Kingdom might grow in each of us and through each of us, but for now, sleep in heavenly peace.

No comments: