Saturday, August 30, 2008

Labels, Determination, and Courage.

So, more on labels. I am pondering the fact that I have spent years trying to figure out who I was when what I really needed to know was who I am in Christ. No one else should define who I am or my worth. This is what I know is true...I am a precious child of God, so are you! He created me, "knit me together in my mother's womb". He has a purpose and plan for me. He is all I need, to know who I am. Know Him, know myself.
I heard these great sermons on determination and courage the other day. We all are determined about one thing or another, right? Maybe it's living up to that label or maybe living in a way that fights against that label. Anyway many of us spend a lot of time trying to figure out that very wonderful purpose and plan God has for us and His will for us like it is a paint by number kind of thing. Not so! God did create us with choices, however IF we are constantly seeking HIM and IF we are determined to be a godly man or woman then it follows that the choices we make daily should fall in line with that goal in mind.
Paul says in Phillipians 3:12-13, "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,".
I remember a conversation I had with my beloved friend MaryAnn in the midst of discerning how to proceed in obedience to God's call to full time ministry and seminary. I was so fearful of making the wrong decision, especially in light of the fact that Marten was jobless at the time and facing major surgery. She very lovingly told me, "Sweet girl you can't make the wrong decision if you are seeking Him with your life." Such incredible wisdom! Thank you MaryAnn!
The courage comes in when we go against what the world tells us about ourselves. Believe me I never imagined being where I am right now and yet because He called, I feel helpless to do anything but be obedient, so ya I do feel a bit courageous at times. Other times I feel a little bit crazy.
One of my favorities...2 Corinthians 5:13 "If we are out of our mind it is for the sake of God, if we are in our right mind it is for you."

No comments: