Thursday, October 23, 2008

I don't deserve my husband...

Seriously, I don't. Put yourself in his shoes, especially you guys. Imagine your spouse telling you that God has called them to seminary and ordination and now basically everything is going to change. First, can you even say no to your spouse if it is God that is calling? Second, if you are the husband and the wife is "called" and you "go along with it" what does that say about you? Marten has asked himself this question. He has verbalized it to me a few times. He cannot decide if it makes him a really weak man or a really strong one. I say the latter. It means, essentially, that we will move several times, that he will possibly have to change jobs, that as a family we will be under a microscope (like it or not), it means he will often be known as "Heather's husband". Now whatcha think fellas?
I think that Marten deserves far more credit than he is given. I think that God is amazing to have put us together. Marten has always supported whatever I have done and although this latest adventure was met with initial hesitation, it is no different. He is my steady no matter what. And yet I know I don't deserve that.
This all makes me think about surrendering our lives to Christ. In a sense it is like jumping off a cliff, but at the same time knowing we will be caught, knowing there is that "steady" there. Man is that a relief! Do we deserve it? No, for we have all fallen short. But still he is there.
This has been a tough journey and I don't expect it to get easier anytime soon (I must be doing something right!). There have been many stops and starts, way too little sleep, and so much love, and lots of strengthening of those faith muscles. God is good. All the time.

Isaiah 35:3 Strengthen the feeble hands, steady the knees that give way;

No comments: