Tuesday, October 28, 2008

What's your motivation?

Ok, I think I've got some answers to the really big questions, well, on second thought I know who has the answers to the really important questions. There was a time when I was a real know-it-all about this God thing, kind of in your face, "I know something you don't know". Not real attractive, actually. I have moved from that place to a place where God has humbled me in my know-it-all attitude more than a few times in order to get me to act accordingly. Instead I now come from a place of one who wants to share Jesus and all that comes with him and that he is available to everyone! There is a difference in motivation here. The former is one of know-it-all, smugness and the latter is one of love and sharing. Which place are you coming from? Before you answer consider this. Someone is dating someone of a different race. This someone's relative is taking a class learning how to share their faith with people with different religious beliefs. Sounds pretty incredible right? This person is so motivated to share their faith that they are taking a class on how to do it with people of different religions. At the same time they have completely rejected and denounced the idea of their relative dating someone of a different race. How do those two things fit together? What then is the motivation for taking this class? Is it sharing Jesus out of love with love? Or is it instead an "I know something you don't know" motivation? This individual, it might seem, thinks that they are better than this person of a different race. What do you make of that?
I tell you all this to say, I have been there. I have been the know it all, I am better than you person. To remind us that we all need to check ourselves and our motivations to see how pure they are. And finally to remember that apart from Him we are nothing!

John 15:5"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

No comments: