Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Shock and Awe

Yes I know I have been noticeably absent for the last 10 or so days. I must confess I have been in shock at the latest occurrence in the lives of the Jallad family. Many of you know Marten was out of full-time work for a year and has been working his new job for less than a year, all in the midst of discerning where God wants us and how the next several years will play out as we answer the call to seminary and full-time ministry. About 10 days ago we were told that Marten's job would essentially end come December, somewhere between the middle to the end. His company is closing 150 stores, all of the metro area included. Oh ya and no severance package, just that's the end see ya later, bye. So in my human shortsightedness I went into shock. I was mad. Mad at the company, hurt for Marten and what I knew he had to go through again. I confess I was mad at God for allowing this to happen. Scared, yup fear has crept in and I am fighting it daily! Fear is not from God!
Marten has been incredible. He remembers what God brought us through before. How amazingly, through the people He has put around us, He has provided again and again. He remembers, and so must I. I must remember that this is temporary. That He is eternal. That the hope we find in Him propels us forward. I must remember, but I also need to be reminded, by Him, by Marten, by you! We could all use those reminders couldn't we? God has not caused this to happen but He will be glorified in it if I have anything to do with it. I must remember to stand in awe of all He has done, all he has brought us through, and all He is doing and will do in the future.
Lest I resort to feeling sorry for myself or for Marten or for our girls I will think of Job. Do you know that in the book of Job, through the anguish and the torment hope is mentioned some 18 times? That puts things into perspective!
Pray for us please...
Hebrews 10:23Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.

No comments: