Saturday, October 11, 2008

Passion...Oh My Dang!

What are you passionate about? I just shared the story about my friend Linda and her passion for "her" Kenya kids. That passion was something she could not keep contained. It had to flow out of every part of her. That passion became so much a part of her life that everyone around her started to grow passionate too. This reminds me of two things; first last Fall, Perry Noble, a church planter in South Carolina, wrote a blog about Starbucks' Pumpkin Spice Latte, mmmmmm. Anyway, he is a regular at SB and he has his regular drink, however last Fall while traveling in and out of Atlanta Airport and stopping off at SB he kept hearing people talking about the Pumpkin Spice Latte and how great it was and wouldn't he like to try one. Everyone in front of him in line was ordering one and he had one of those conversations with himself, "sounds good, but I'm getting my regular. Man everyone is ordering that thing." Well he gets up to the front of the line and they ask him what he wants and as if posessed he says, "Pumpkin Spice Latte", and can't even believe it. Anyway he gets it, drinks it, and exclaims, "Oh My Dang, that's good!" The point is all of these people were very enthusiastic about this silly drink and they talk about it so much that it became contagious, "I think I need to try that". "I'll have what she's having!" What if we were that way about Jesus? What if we were that way about loving each other? What if we were so passionate about him that it was contagious and undeniable for others?
The other thing it reminds me of is Jeremiah 20:9, " But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot."

Get passionate about something and then let people get close to you!

No comments: