Tuesday, July 14, 2009

All in the family...

We are back from the annual Family Reunion and planning to stay put for the rest of the summer. At least I am. The Fall semester will bring four trips to Kentucky for 3 different classes. It should be interesting!
Family Reunions are always interesting. My siblings and I range in age from 45-39 and we all have children of our own. We all have found our own place in the world and calling in life. What is really interesting is what happens when we all come together. It never fails that in some way, shape, or form, we all either somehow revert back to our childhood roles and places or fight hard against them all week long. Very interesting. I find myself digressing too and it aggravates the fool out of me. I haven't quite figured out at what point or how it happens, if it is so many hours or days there and POOF, or if the metamorphosis somehow takes place in route???
I get to preach one of the services this week and it happens to be "legacy Sunday" where we celebrate our roots and our family. I am wondering how this all is connected. When we become believers, when we accept Christ as our savior, we become a part of the family of God and coheirs to the Kingdom with Christ. At times however we revert back to that old self, the "flesh" side of who we are. When we realize it, we fight it. I'm not sure how this all fits. I know that how I grew up, my family, and my past, all make me who I am today, but I just can't be that little girl, it's like a pair of shoes that no longer fit. I also know that all I experienced before I accepted that I was incapable of doing it all on my own, and asked Jesus to be the leader of my life and forgiver of my sins, has value. It too has made me who I am, and good or bad it can be used of God if I let it. God means to redeem e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g! We just have to be willing instruments! I'm a big girl now! Now I just have to act like it!
1Peter 2:1-3
1Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. 2Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, 3now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.

No comments: