Friday, July 31, 2009

On a Jesus High

I have had the privilege of being one of the many voices in the lives of 6 teenage girls this last year. Five of the six are preparing to leave for college in the next 2 weeks and I am so excited for the adventure they are embarking on, but at the same time I pray I have had some part in equipping them for the journey ahead. Most of them have just returned from a conference for kids their age and they are on a "Jesus High". I so want that feeling to last, that hunger to last. I know that at some point it will fade and I pray that they will see it through. I feel like a spiritual parent in a way. It took some time but I finally realized what a huge opportunity I had in this brief time to share the love of Christ with them, to strengthen their faith in him, and help them to understand just how big and wide and deep God's love and grace is.
Unfortunately this grace was something foreign to me as a young person. I don't remember when I fully understood what this gift of grace was, what I do remember is how it turned my life upside down and set me free, and that I wanted and still want everyone to know about it. I wasted so much time trying to do it all on my own, save myself, be myself (whoever that was), be "spiritual", but I may as well have been running in circles. God's grace says you don't have to be "good enough", my Son is, and he died for you. All you have to do is love me, believe in me. I know every hair on your head and I created you with a purpose. Stop trying and just seek God. He is your Creator, the lover of your soul, He knows you better than you will ever know yourself. Seek Him and you will find yourself there. Breathe in His scandalous grace and finally be free.
My heartfelt prayer is that each of these girls knows this in the depths of their souls and that I had just a small part in their lives as they grow to be young women after God's own heart.
"Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near." Isaiah 55:6

No comments: