Thursday, September 11, 2008

Disappointment...

So what has God taught me in disappointment? I don't mean to sound negative but I have been disappointed a lot. What I have learned as a result of that disappointment is priceless however. I have learned that God does not disappoint, ever. He is the constant, the steady. People on the other hand often disappoint. What I mean here is that we all develop expectations of one another and when those aren't met we are disappointed. I often like to think the best of people or make assumptions about their understanding of things and motivations. I think there is genuine hope in those expectations. I am often disappointed. So what is the answer? Should we not have high expectations of one another, of ourselves? That way we won't be disappointed right? A wise person once reminded me that people often rise to our expectations, so we should expect big things. I think about God's grace and His desire for a relationship with us and the lengths that he went to to get it. Don't you think He is expecting great things from us? Not to earn anything but because we are compelled to do great things for Him. God has taught me in my disappointment to persevere, to hope, and to have great expectations!

Romans 5:5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

No comments: