Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Grief, loss, despair, an opportunity or a stumbling block?

Death, grief, loss, despair, all difficult parts of being human. These are times that can bring us to our knees before God holding on to Him with all we are or they can send us running in the opposite direction. What causes us to turn one way or the other? Lots of things...
Well I find myself in the midst of many people facing some of the most difficult times in their lives. Their children are sick, possibly dying, being diagnosed with what may as well be a death sentence, how do you assure someone of God's love and presence in that? I am perplexed as to the questions of if God created this baby and purposed it life why is it dying in a NICU having undergone surgery after birth and never going home to the nursery that was prepared with love and hope filled expectation? How can I assure when I don't know myself? I mean, I understand why there is evil in the world and I can reconcile that with a wholly good and omnipotent God but why would a baby be born this way?
I went to a funeral a few weeks ago. One of the pastors at the service did something he said he doesn't normally do, he spoke about Jesus, salvation, and offered to pray for and with those who have not given their lives to him. I thought to myself, "why, funerals are a huge opportunity to reach people who might never step foot in a church or any other faith environment ever, why wouldn't you do this at every funeral?" I have also thought in these last weeks that I find myself in a similar place. I have the opportunity to speak to people about God and pray with them and share His love that might not ever know any of this. I am meeting these people at a very difficult, very vulnerable time in their lives when they have very big questions. How do I do this? How can I share God's love so that they will run to Him and not run away?
I know our Savior was a man of many sorrows, familiar with suffering, many of these people don't, and even those that do see their innocent children suffering and ask WHY?
I'd LOVE your feedback!

No comments: