Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year, New Beginnings and Relationship

Happy New Year! It's the time of year when many of us resolve to do something differently or better. Some of us might resolve to spend more time in prayer or study, eating better, or exercising.
God the Father offered us an incredible opportunity for a new beginning when He sent His Son to live, and walk, and teach on the earth, and ultimately to die for our sins, the perfect sacrifice in order to restore us to relationship with God. Jesus told his disciples that he had to leave them but when he did the Great Counselor would come, the Holy Spirit. The cleansing of mankind enabled the Spirit to dwell in each of us if we only extend the invitation. None of us is worthy, not one, without the perfect sacrifice that restored us to the place of possible relationship. God loves us so much, but he does not force Himself upon us. We must choose Him. When we do, the next step is relationship. Just like any relationship it takes commitment, time, energy, and intention. God already knows every single thing about each and every one of us. He did, after all, create us. The question is how well do we know Him?
The best way to do this is to read His Word, spend time in prayer, study, and in fellowship with other believers. How are we to know or recognize His voice if we are not familiar with His Word and His work in the lives of other believers?
One of the music groups I have been listening to lately has a song called "I Will Possess Your Heart". Click on the YOUTube screen on the right and you can listen for yourself! It's all about what it takes for relationship but it brings to my mind how God wants us to invest our time in order to build our relationship with Him. As a result, He will possess your heart, if only you take the time, that, I am certain of!

2 comments:

"honey b" said...

I love the song "I will possess your heart." It reminds me of our worship service yesterday when we had the opportunity to refocus on our committments by professing our faith and belief in Jesus; and, living our lives through God's grace. It was a very meaningful service and your blog brings it all together. The Trinity is an amazing subject, especially when I realize it has been since the beginning and will be forevermore. I don't know how it works--it is a great mystery. However, it gives me comfort to know that the Holy Spirit is within me and keeps me in relationship with God the Father and Christ the Son which are one with the Holy Spirit. God will possess my heart when I ask Christ to come in; and, the Holy Spirit to live within me.

Heather J. said...

Thanks Ileen! yes I so enjoyed taking part in yesterday's service. It was very meaningful! And yes the Trinity is a great mystery. When I consider this and our human nature it only seems fitting. We all tend to seek after the things we cannot ever fully seem to grasp or understand. When we do we lose interest don't we?