Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What it means to be real...

So, I have blogged often about being transparent and how much I value transparency and authenticity. I value it not only in others but most especially in myself and how I am perceived by others. That's why last week, after leading a marraige enrichment class for 6 weeks, when I received an email from a participant that said they appreciated how I was "down to earth" and easy to talk to, I was so pleased. That was one of the best affirmations I could have received!

I talk so much about being "real" and perceived as real because I fear taking on the "pastoral mystique". To my knowledge this phrase was coined by Pastor Craig Groeschel in referring to the air that some pastors have. You know the kind that exude perfection, they make no mistakes, they have it all figured out, they are untouchable, and unfortunately unapproachable. That is what I am running from. I am reminded of a scene that Barbara Taylor Brown, Episcopal Priest, describes in her book "Leaving Church" that brought tears to my eyes when I read it. After years in ministry to the local church, Brown had decided to leave and take a teaching position at a college. She had been invited to a cookout type party that happened every year, yet had always felt as though she was held at a distance, not this time. At one point the party gets wild and people start throwing each other into the pool. Time stands still and she waits to see if anyone will attempt to throw her in or if like every other time she will be deemed untouchable in the eyes of others. She goes on to describe how exquisite it feels to be thrown into the pool, all arms and legs flailing around her as she hits the water. Finally real, like everyone else. I don't ever want to get to the place where I am not real. Where I am unapproachable or untouchable.

I also think of the children's book The Velveteen Rabbit and how badly that stuffed rabbit wants to be real and finds that what it takes to be made real is love.

Just rambling thoughts I needed to empty from my brain. What do you think?

No comments: